Thursday, October 23, 2008

On Re-reading Parts of Breaking Dawn

Yesterday, I re-read a few chapters of Breaking Dawn. I'm impressed by the obvious progress the Meyers has made as a writer, although I didn't enjoy this text as much as the previous book. Some of my colleagues have a hard time with this book because of the unlikely scenerio surrounding Bella's pregnancy, but quite frankly, I think we all had to suspend our tendencies of disbelief throughout the series! It is an interesting comment though, and it highlights Meyer's ability, like J.K. Rowling, to write with a fantasy subject in a very realistic fashion. These kinds of book defy classification, as they aren't true "fantasy" novels. If someone asks me if it's a vampire story, I hesitate, because that implies that it takes place in a fantasy setting, which it does not. Likewise, Harry Potter is so thoroughly a typical teenager, that those stories don't truly fit in the "fantasy" category, either.

No comments: