Saturday, October 25, 2008

Scotland, PA

Having taught Macbeth more times than I can count over fifteen years in the English classroom, I was fortunate enough one year to have an exceptional student recommend the movie Scotland, PA to me. At the time it was only available on Amazon or through Netflicks. I bought the movie after I saw it once. It's totally not appropriate for the high school classroom, but a great modernization of Macbeth. It involves the fry cook at a fast food restaurant with dreams of taking over the operation, the owner's pothead son, who's supposed to be Malcolm, and nearly every other character from the original story. The themes are largely the same, and the changes in characterization are really effective to produce the story. My husband, who didn't know the Macbeth story, had no trouble following the movie and thoroughly enjoyed it. While some may argue that nothing beats the Polanski Macbeth, it is showing its age now. This is a great, witty alternative.

No comments: